Relationship is Knowing, Really Knowing

Who do you know so well that you can honestly say you really know them? Is it a spouse, best friend, parents, and / or kids?

I really know my wife. The kind of knowing that I know how she is going to react in most every circumstance. I know what she’s thinking when I catch her staring at something, I know her strengths and her weaknesses. Just being in her presence without a word spoken I know if something is bothering her. Do you have someone that you know that well?

It wasn’t always so with Shari and I – I must admit, in the beginning I realized quickly I needed to get to know her better for my own safety – actions to avoid that would bring on the wrath! :-) This took quite a bit of studying and watching and failing, but I eventually learned (self preservation kicked in). I then moved to a phase where I knew her well enough to manipulate her and get my way. I knew just what to say and do to get my selfish ways, although looking back I’m pretty sure she saw right through me, but gave me the benefit of the doubt. The knowledge was there, but the motives were all wrong - thank You Lord for helping our marriage survive that phase! The phase we enjoy now I can only describe as true love. Somewhere along the way I learned the beauty that motivates her, her dreams and desires for our family and for herself - somewhere along the way I finally started listening to her heart. Through the listening came that deep relationship where I long to bring her joy, and I know the little things that do so.

Scripture says Jesus is our husband and we are His bride. He longs for us to know Him like this. To dedicate the time studying Him, watching Him and listening to Him with our hearts. How He would respond in every circumstance; what and how He would say or ask in every response; When He would stand up and speak to the storm; how to speak to the Father. Can you finish His sentences? How much do you desire too? Ask Him to reveal ways we don’t know Him and things we believe in error. He loves spending time with us and revealing more and more of Himself to us. Holy Spirit revealed to me how my relationship with Jesus has been much like my marriage. When I first began to know Him it was for my own safety – I desperately needed a Savior. The more I got to know Jesus, the more I realized the power He has given us to access. It pains me to admit, but I began trying to manipulate Jesus to do my will. Although many times my intentions were noble, honest retrospect revealed it was still about me in ways. Oh Lord, thank You for Your love and patience, and that You are slow to anger! I still bounce in and out of the True Love and Manipulation phases of my relationship with Him, but I long to please Him, to do His will, to become little so He can become great in me. Not works, but love.

I long to know Him as my True Love spouse.

In Him, and all in!

Joe Borden

Comments

Popular Posts