Since the 40 day water fast

As my 40 day fast came to a close, I experienced a lot of emotions.  I felt the high of accomplishing what I believed was impossible mixed with a feeling of uncertainty about what would happen next.  I remember feeling a nervous excitement as I asked God, "What now?  Are all my prayers already answered?"
I sensed Him answer, "Did your prayers line up with My will?"
I answered "Yes sir, to my knowledge of You they did."
"Then you know what My Word says in 1 John 5:14-15:
'This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.  And if we know He hears us - whatever we ask, we know that we have what we asked of Him.'
Your fast didn't make Me want to answer your prayers any more than I did before you fasted.  Your prayers were answered when you believed I heard them, but your obedience opened in you a new realm of knowing Me and trusting Me beyond what you were capable of previously.   You cannot yet comprehend the fullness of this new realm, but in time you will.  As for your prayers, trust they are answered in My timing and My ways."

Two days after the fast ended, my oldest son Trey came to me and said he wanted Jesus to be Lord of his life, that he was ready to surrender his will to Jesus' will.  I asked him what that looked like to him, and he laid face down on the floor and began to talk to Jesus like He was standing in the room.  I witnessed my son in beautiful humility surrender his will the best he knew how at that time.  What an honor!  God is so faithful!!!   Thank You Lord!

One morning in my quiet time a couple of weeks later, I sensed Him ask "Do you want to know why I invited you to the fast?" Of course I bit quickly and said "Yes Dad, why?"  What He said next still blows me away and brings tears of joy to my eyes whenever I think about it.  He said, "Because I knew you would say yes Joey." 

It has now been over a year since the fast.  Troubles still come and go just like before, but my perspective is changing.  I'm not saying the boys don't step on my last nerve from time to time, or golf magically became less frustrating, but I am quicker to realize and believe the truth of Philippians 4:5 that "The Lord is near."  The reality of that Truth changes everything when we accept and believe He is who He says He is.  He is near to all of us.  He's not mad at us.  He loves us more than we can imagine.  He loves talking with us.  He loves it when we choose Him over the world's distractions.  He loves it when we choose to believe who He says we really are.  He loves it when we choose to believe who He says He really is.  He loves it when we choose to believe He really sent His son Jesus to take our place in judgement.  He loves it when we ask for forgiveness in humility.  He loves forgiving us!  He loves to take our burdens upon Himself and exchange them for peace (Philippians 4).  He loves for us to give Him the authority to clean up all our messes.  He loves us.

He is love.  (1 John 4:16)
He loves us outrageously (John 3:16-17; Romans 5:8; many others)
To know Him is eternal life - (John 17:3)
He is our provider - (Phil 4:9; Heb 13:20,21)
He is our healer - (Exodus 15 and so many others)
He is our protector - (Ps 91; Eph 6; Ps 28 and so many others)
He is our avenger - (Ps 94, 35; Romans 13)
He sees all things - (Hebrews 4:13; Acts 1:24; 1 Sam 16:7; Proverbs 15:11)
The Lord is near - (Philippians 4)

Comments

Popular Posts